Tuesday, October 16, 2007

To Be A Secret Or Not To Be A Secret, That Is The Problem!

Yay, another crappy blog! :) I have to say that although my first article was a bit long, at least I spoke my whole mind on things about VGs. Now, my blog for tonight will center on a problem that plagues the Yugioh! community these days. And that problem (as my title suggests) is with changing rarity of cards that we get from the OCG. Now a lot of people will agree with me or disagree but I feel that it is total bs for a card that was a rare and easy to get become upgraded to Ultra Rare. Or worse, a Super to an Ultra. And the worst of the worst, any rarity to Secret Rare. WHY? Is this a sick practical joke that UDE wishes to pull on us? I understand that its a Collectible/Trading Card Game and that it is a business, but promoting this behavior is very detrimental to your (UDE) cause.

Even if you feel you're doing it appropriately, not a lot of people feel like shelling out 50$+ for 1 card. If you are someone who does such things, then all the power to you for having wads of cash I don't have. Where's the consideration for the people who want to get these cards, but end up making ridiculous trades on Pojo or purchases on Ebay (150$ for Il Blud, anyone?) just to make these decks, or just get stuck with watching other people use them? Vennominaga, formerly an Ultra, becomes a friggin Secret Rare. 80$?!? Give me a break. Cyberdark Impact!, a card that makes Cyberdark decks wreak havoc get the Secret Rare treatment (previously Super I might add) and BAM! 50$ worth out the window.

Meanwhile, as you are pondering this, someone with a lot more money then you (and before you assume university students make money, get a reality check please) is buying box after box, obtaining these rares and waving them in front of your face. Or at the very least not letting go of them unless they turn a profit off of you, knowing that THY R INDZ D SCRT RRZ OMGZ LOLZ. Just you wait, if they do it again, the money that UDE expects to come in will decrease drastically, unknowingly whipping themselves in the rear. Enishi a Secret Rare? Oh noez! I quitz! At least the rich people care about you. And I guess that's what counts in the end. The green that buys pretty shiny things.

Now UDE has made good decisions as well. Ultimate Rare, initially used by the Japanese, was a fair way for someone to make something he would've gotten anyway that much more valuable (and more importantly, shinier). Wow, I pulled an Ultimate Horus LV6! Yay! And even richer people then myself could not tell the possibility of getting an Ultimate Rare 100%. Having a Ghost Rare is an interesting move as well, because 1 in 4 boxes will net a card of said rarity, despite the fact that it looks like, imo, holo garbage. Upgrading commons to holo is actually a great move as well. I'd like nothing more then to obtain holo Gravekeepers or Six Samurai aside from those that have already received said treatment. Now I'm not saying go out and make Larvae Moth a card in CP05 (Although I would s*** bricks if they did something that awesome), but this is a way to attract the consumer for sure. In these regards, you certainly have the right idea.

But you really need to address the rarity change problem. A lot of people have complained that this is way too much strain financially, as well as being very irritating to trade for cards that should have been their appropriate rarity in the first place. If you're doing this to be different, I really don't care. A card game should not be tampered with like that, when your objective should be to have your own interests of making money go hand in hand with the interests of the people you're selling your product to. Who knows what will happen if you continue to conduct your business in such a manner. I think the release of GLAS will make or break Yugioh this year, so keep your hands on the trigger and don't shoot until you see the Secret Rare Enishi confirmed by spoilers a month from now. Once that happens, that will be last straw for me. Don't care? Good for you, other people will stop caring about you too, or switch over to WoW. Hope that the looming fate of Yugioh! comforts you. Cheap Pop Man, out!

No comments: